Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Learn the names

Hello everyone,

For those of you starting A-track or traditional calendar, there are a couple of things I would like to say.

First, I cannot overemphasize the importance of memorizing all of your students' names. This is usually easier if your students have been sitting in a consistent location every day, but it's possible (if you're really good) with the kids moving around. (If you aren't following my tone here, you won't see that I admit that it's possible, but I don't advise it. I recommend a permanent seating chart.)

I found that I could memorize all of the names of all my students within three weeks, and within six weeks, I could recognize most of my students outside class and call most of them by name. I sometimes struggled at the first back to school night, but if I could get a handle on where someone sat, I could usually remember a lot about the student.

The second thing I want to say is related to the first.

You will find that the names of your most (shall we say) flamboyant students are the easiest to remember, especially at first. Those students who misbehave the most--especially when the misbehavior is particularly outrageous--are the ones whose names you will call on most frequently, and that repetition will help you to remember them.

Likewise those outstanding students who enthusiastically jump into your subject and want to know the answers to everything you teach: you will learn their names quickly.

The secret is to know ALL your students, including the quiet, average kids who don't distinguish themselves in any way. Know them. Don't let them slip through the cracks.

Also, watch out for those quiet students who are covering up for gross deficiencies in their education. These are the ones who would never misbehave, and would likely never volunteer, and maybe have no clue whatsoever about what you're teaching. Don't overlook them. If there is an RSP teacher in your room, send the RSP teacher to help these students; they are prime candidates for quiet, individual help and attention.

Research shows what we have known all along in our souls: the best teaching occurs in an environment of nurturing and mutual trust, and that begins by knowing the name.

No comments: