Friday, September 7, 2007

Grades part 2 (The Meaning of "A")

Hello everyone,

If you are new to the daily emails, and if they interest you, I will be putting them all on a blog within a week or two, and you'll be able to access past ones. For some of you brand new to the profession, I might recommend some previous email that I've written so I can save myself the trouble of doing one again. Just thought I'd give you all heads up on that.

My last email was on failure rates. I'd like to address the opposite.

I have long had a problem with what constitutes an A. Normally, computer programs licensed by the District fix an A at 90% or more of graded assignments. The standards for an A make it clear that an A is an outstanding mark; it should tell the student that both the quality and the output of the student's work are extraordinary--far above average.

A's were important to me as a student, but I did not respect teachers who gave easy A's.

I still don't.

I think that an A should not be an easy grade. I certainly don't think that students who fail to achieve the standards--unless they show outstanding effort in improving themselves--should receive A's, even if they do all the work.

I don't mean to imply that an A should not be possible for anyone, nor do I mean to suggest that some elective classes may simply be easier in their grading standards. I just think that an A should really be outstanding.

I further think that an A in East LA should be the equivalent of an A anywhere else. There is an attitude that has occasionally crept up at Garfield that suggests that we should give A's to our students so that they can compete with others in getting into major colleges. I think this does a disservice to the students. They compete well when we give them the skills to do it, regardless of what grades we give them, so long as the grades are the grades they have truly earned. I have given many C's to students who went to very prestigious colleges and were successful.

There is something shameful to me when a student progresses to advanced grades or college, and the student has received an A, and the student doesn't possess basic skills. Sometimes, of course, students with poor skills will work very hard, do extra work, progress beyond normal expectations, and earn an A against my better judgment. I certainly don't believe in altering my grade standards in mid-stream to prevent an otherwise poorly skilled student with great work habits from earning an A. I just think that an A should represent a student's commitment to rigor and excellence, even when I acknowledge that some students may get A's by exceptional hard work, and others may get A's with exceptional talent (and much less work).

I keep a few things in mind:

A student who receives an A in my class should be proud of it. The student may even feel the need to explain the significance of an A in Combe's class and the standard of excellence that it represents.

A student who receives an A in my class should never fail out of college.

Students should not expect A's as a given.

A student with an A should be competent at least.

Students should not get A's if they fail all their tests.

A B is also a good grade. A C is an average grade. A D is passing.

But an A--an A is superior. Good, average, or passing is not the same as superior.

Jeff Combe

No comments: