Friday, May 23, 2008

A bit of sentiment

Hello everyone,

Maybe it's the cloudy weather, but I'm feeling a little sentimental today.

I've decided it's time to officially announce that I won't be in the position of PSP adviser next year. In fact, the position won't exist in the Garfield cluster because of budget cuts.

Since Garfield is losing so many teachers because of dropping enrollment, I have decided to bow to reality and look for a teaching job in another school. When I know where I'm going, I'll let you all know.

I told you that to tell you this:

I've been at Garfield for 17 years. Most of the class of 2008 were in their early infancy when I came to Garfield in July of 1991. I came with some students who had been in my classroom at Belvedere, and I had the chance to watch them grow and mature over the next three years. Two of them teach at Garfield now.

I have served under five principals and at least two interim principals. During those 17 years, I saw riots, fires, terrorist attacks, budget crises, school shootings, two major schedule changes, the transition to digital record keeping, SLCs, dozens of improvement initiatives, and a state takeover. I have directed or helped direct more than 30 plays and uncountable videos; I have seen several score students take the AP exam; I've had students succeed and fail at both the best and worst universities in America; I've had triumphs and disappointments.

I confess that my work lately has been a little melancholy. I'm not retiring, nor do I have the investment of time here that many of my colleagues have. Still, I can't help but love this place that can't decide if it's going to be the best or the worst in America, and fights for the privilege of being both.

I have chosen now to write this, but I'm going to be around for another month, and I'm frankly happiest when I'm busiest, so I intend to work. You'll see me around carrying my notepad and a novel for the next month. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. There's still a chance for Garfield to decide to end the fight and just be great, and I wouldn't mind working for that.

But the clouds are gray, and--today--I'm a bit sentimental.

Jeff Combe

No comments: